Unfortunately, this letter is not dated, but it was published today and confirmed by ISPs.
Brief Translation to English:
” Subject: Blocking an offensive website to Holy Quran and Holy Prophet
Reference to the above mentioned subject, and in tribute to the book of God and the holy profit, and in compliance to law order # 17 …, which states on banning porn sites and site offensive to the ethics and Islamic regulations, and since there is a site that sings the Holy Quran, God Forbid, and publishes offensive photos of the holy prophet by searching for “Quran singed and composed”Â in the below mentioned website, therefore you are requested to act upon and block this site immediately.
This is how many Kuwaities started their day. By reading that the site which forms 15% of Kuwaiti traffic, according to one of the ISPs, and the #3 site on all Kuwait traffic according to Alexa, is being blocked, because a minority have published offensive contents. While this is prety rediculous, it’s also pretty much expected. In programming we always say, you give the wrong input, you will get the wrong output. Samething here. You put the wrong person on the job, you get the wrong decisions.
Why do I say that? Is it because I am less of a muslim? Well, maybe I’m not strictly religious, but voting against banning the site comes from various other different reasons:
- Referring to YouTube as an offensive site that sings and composes the Holy Quran is a mistake against them. It makes it seem like this is the primary function of the site, they are doing it them selves, and that they are backing i up. Not like it’s few users who might have uploaded this video unnoticed.
- Look at the bright side, our Holy Prophet said. When he saw a dead smelly dog, he looked at the white teethes he has, as a lesson to his friends. Now, YouTube is a lot more than a dead smelly dog here. It has millions of videos, some pointless, some fun, and many others are religious that you and your Islamic friends use on day to day basis. A search for Quran by it self brings 244,000 results! Now that seem a lot for an anti-Islamic site to me!
- If we hate offensive content to our religion, why do we allow offense on others? What goes around comes around. Our TV, websites, Mosques, and all do show, support, and call for fight against non-muslims, calling them athiests, and our subscription based TV Channels broadcast movies more offensive, making some holy prophets like comedians God Forbid. This is officially estbalished company in Kuwait doing this. Why isn’t there anything to stop it? Local TV is not Ministry of Communicaiton responsibility. Well you can block their site for a start!
- I got a email about this subject, saw the video, filed a complain request like any mature person would do to YouTube, and now, if I try to watch the video, this is what I get:
- To prove how silly it is if this blocking takes place, at the time of writing this article, searching for Quran Singed and Composed in Arabic would bring zero results! Instead, this is what I got:
If they still wanna move forward, despite that YouTube did really act upon the video, listned to people complains, and there isn’t really any such videos right now, then I have a list of suggestions to push our country furter forward, carefully selected from Alexa top 100 sites in Kuwait:
- Google, Yahoo, and MSN Search: The head of search to all evil things. Block them.
- Facebook: There are some athiest and anti-Islamic groups. Don’t try to reach them, educate them, or show your thoughts. Just leave the whole site.
- Maktoob.com: Arabic online forums, e-marriage could be abused for dating, movies, horoscopes. This is not Islamic is it?
- Kooora.com: All about soccer, mostly European soccer where teams show sponsored Beer and wine ads on their Shirts.
- RapidShare: Sharing is not monitored, you can’t tell what your people are sharing. And someone might be secretly sharing offensive content. There must be some of it. Or at least, just to be on the safe side
- Travian.ae: Obiously, why should you let your people play as Romanian soldiers in an online game, helping the Romanian empire expand it’s grounds online, when they could be fighting as Islamic ones.
- Hi5: Friendship site.
- Blogger: Where everything is possible to post, and where we protest against site blocking.
- Microsoft.com: It’s a jewish company! What could be worse? Let’s all use Sakhr computers.
- Tagged: Again, has offensive videos section
- Wikipedia: Anyone can edit an article about anything. Westerns are controlling the article. Kill it
- zShare: Again, uncontrollable private file sharing site
- Mozook: Online videos, love banners on main page
- 4Shared: Private shared videos could go offensive unnoticed
- Q8yat: Forum that has Islamic section, umm section for wives and mothers. But hey, there is Halima Boland celebrity in this banner, and then there is a makeup section!
- Alwatan: They have a daily comic, and one character is Islami one which they keep making fun of!
- bramjnet: Hmm… site is down. We might as well give him a shot of mercy just to make sure
- 6rb: Songs, no need to check it even
- Orkut: Another social site, encouracing opposite sex to meet
- Flickr: If Searching reveals offensive photos, this must be one source for them
- Piczo: Mix of photos, music, and videos. Contain offensive, so it is offensive
- Metacafe: Has offensive videos as well. Ohh yes, it’s good for soccer goals as well, but still
- Photobucket: Photo sharing again
- ImageShack: Photo sharing. We already established this is bad enough
- Koutbo6: Hmmm… challenging. There is this banner at the top for Eid movies. Those movies has girls in them, and those girls are not respecting our ethics. I don’t think this site is good for Muslims after all
- NBK: Reba! non-Islamic loans promoted, and some girl pictures show up. Ohh, and it hurts KFH business also. So block it
- SweetIM: Hmm.. nothing infront, but people use those emoticon icons to chat with opposite sex maybe. Let’s not make harsh decisions, we’ll look into it later
- Amazon: You can buy EVERYTHING. Everything is certainly not good.
- Jeeran: Online community to corrupt arab society
- MediaFire: File sharing. Could share harmful files unnoticed
- HawaaWorld: It’s an Islamic name, Islamic site, some Islamic hints. Seems good. But they have a makeup section. Na’h. Sorry, not allowed
- KFH: If the internet was only KFH! Allow
- OzQ8: Songs. Block
- KNCC.com: Just censor movies, just ban them. (Didn’t they change their brand to Cinescape. KNCC is still higher in rank :))
- Google Syndication: The Google ads, all evil Google ads come from here.Â
- Kuwait25: Chat, songs. Anti-Islamic
- Jazeera Airways: Are you sure they don’t show any bad movies on the flight? What about their waitresses? Maybe they are hot. Take test flight then decide
- IMDB: Database of Hollywood movies, photos, info and all. Extremely bad
- Google.com.sa: Even Google Suadi Arabia is not porn FREE! Block it
- Kuwait Stock Exchange: OK, this is gonna make me on wanted list. But they do trade in companies that run non-Islamic investments. Telecom do sell songs, make draws, bring celebrities and all. This is a door to ivnest in wrong companies. I say we block it
- DailyMotion: Hey, you forgot that one also. Like YouTube
- WordPress: What people use to create their own blog. BAD BAD
- VIP600: Videos. Celebrity Videos. Wrong
- Friendster: Make friendship with opposite sex and western world. Never!
- DVD4Arab: Has DVDs and songs section
- Al-Qabas: They have movies and arts section. Why? Encouraging people to watch those movies.Â
- MySpace: Again, online social sites
- Q8Car: There you go. 2 whole sites now open to browse. Just make sure you don’t buy Jewish cars please
- Arabiclub: Well, players are not wearing Islamic shorts. Offensive I guess
- StarTimes: Seems a bit Islamic. But there is a games section, and we are forming a committe for game censorship. So we can’t allow others to speak about games. Block. Sorry
- ArabEyes: Love SMS, fashion, movies. How did we miss you before?
- jsoftj: softwares. Banner for Islamic songs. OK. But a girl is singing those songs. How anti-Islamic. Ban
- Wataniya: Well, they do have those celebrity photos and videos. Evil
- 6arab: name says it all
- Qadsiya Fans: If your shorts were only a bit longer. Ban
- Qualitynet: The door to all those problems. Let’s just close them down
- 0zz0: File sharing. Banner for Mesyar marriage. What the…? Sorry, I thought we are cleaning net not making it worse. Ban
- Kuwait777: Full of women photos. Ane besides, 777 is a registered trademark ;)
- Ahram.org.eg: They require authentication! They must be hiding something from us. Ban
- Kuwait University: We are still not happy with separated classes, mixed college. Also, you can search for women teacher phone numbers there. Ban until they are completely separated.
- Fastelco: What’s that lady doing at your main site? And this is also another door to all corruption out there. Force them to block their sites, and then close them down
- Zain: Zain is a wonderful world as the claim, distracting people from the immortal life after death. They should know better
- Alrai Media: Their Ramadan contest is offensive (and silly if you ask me!). Block it
- Ministry of Education: Well, they do teach music in Schools. Also, the site will list all wome schools, making it tempting to go after girls
- BBC: If we blok YouTube, they talk about us. Let’s block them so we don’t hear them
- te3p: Bluetooth, clips, photos. Disqualified
- itrackit: Directory listing error. We don’t need you anyways
- Clicksor: Uncensored Ads. Ban
- Saatchi Gallery: You could fine some naked lady arts drawn on walls. Ban
- Masrawy: Their comics are offensive to Islamic culture and ethics. Shows badly dressed women
- Ask.com: I searched for “Is Islam Good?” and it gave me anti-Islamic results :(. Ban and sue them
- ValueClick Media: Another uncensored ad site. Block
- Ministry of Interior: Not block. ENJOY :). I suggest introducing extra charge for internet users wh want to use this site as extra feature
- CNET Downloads: You can download offensive games from here
- Salmiya.net: Place for song downloads. Block please
- Islamweb: There, satisfying all needs. Not blocked.Â
- Galdiatus: Not only half-naked warriors, but you can visually interact with opposite sex in the virtual world. If she wers hejab OK, otherwise welcome to the naughty list
- GameSpot: Didin’t we already say no game sites?
- Islamway: Approved. This is getting too useful. Maybe internet is not so bad after all. We should riase our prices
- Rediff: Indian actors and celebs, vidoes as well. Not good. Not good at all
- Gamezer: It basically allows you to play games against the opposite sex? BLOCK
- My Ege: Islamic clips. But also, movie and game trailers, clips. Block
- Lakii: This is a very nice site for women. My wife gets recipes from it all the time. But what’s with the beauty crap section? Block. No, I don’t need to check it first
- Z7mh: movies, celebrities, mixed forums. Blocked
- Adobe: This is basically a software, that could eventually allow you to open harmful documents. I don’t feel like giving it to the naive public. I vote block it
- United Networks: Another portal to the world of offensive content. Block it
- al-wlid: Forum directory, listing Hanan Dashti Makeup bride photos. Block
- m5zn: Private file sharing again! Banner for lover forums. Block
- Alazrag: A complete site supporting those above-knee short players. And besides, we don’t want people to know we still have national team or intend ot have one. Block it
UPDATE: Apparently, the guy who signed off the letter didn’t even take the ministry approval before making this decision.
P.S: I got slashdoted hardly for misspelling a critical word :). Prophet fixed!